MAC Notebook: More MAC games to appear on TV weekly

Thanks to a contract with ESPN, the Mid-American Conference will now have multiple weeknight football games featured on ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3 for the rest of the season.

The top three teams in the East division will all be on on Tuesday night, as Buffalo (6-2, 4-0 MAC) hosts Ohio (6-2, 3-1 MAC) and Bowling Green (5-3, 3-1 MAC) plays at Miami (0-8, 0-4 MAC).

The Bulls, Falcons and Bobcats each control their own destiny en route to the MAC Championship Game on Dec. 6 at Ford Field in Detroit.

The West will also have the clash of two of the division’s top four teams, when Central Michigan (3-5, 2-2 MAC) travels to Ball State (8-1, 5-0 MAC) on Wednesday.

“We’re excited for it,” Ball State coach Pete Lembo said during Monday’s weekly coaches teleconference. “It’s great to have meaningful games in November.”

Akron rocks Kent State for the Wagon Wheel

The Zips shut down the Golden Flashes 16-7 to reclaim the Wagon Wheel for the first time since 2009.

Akron (3-7, 2-4 MAC) forced five Kent State (2-8, 1-5 MAC) turnovers this past Saturday, with three interceptions and two fumbles.

“It was as meaningful of a victory I’ve ever been a part of,” Akron coach Terry Bowden said. “It was a huge game for our program, for our fans and our city.”

Saturday’s loss was the fifth consecutive for the Golden Flashes.

“It was another tough loss in a rivalry game, but Akron played well,” said Kent State coach Paul Haynes. “We played hard and our kids were in it until the end.”

As the crow flies, the two schools are separated by fewer than 10 miles (9.8).

Same as it ever was

No. 18 Northern Illinois (9-0, 5-0 MAC) continues to dominate in the MAC West, following a 63-19 beat down of Massachusetts (1-8, 1-4 MAC).

The only other team to have nine wins so far this season is No. 4 Ohio State.

The Huskies scored five touchdowns on their first five possessions and improved to 6-0 on the road, the best record of any FBS school in the country.

“It was a good win,” Northern Illinois coach Rod Carey said after the game. “We started right and kept our foot on the game for the first half. Anytime you have that productivity, you’ve got to be happy.”

The leaders in the MAC West have a bye this week and return to action Nov. 13 against Ball State, which is also undefeated in MAC play.

“You get to brand your university when you’re on national television,” Carey said. “The 18 to 22-year-olds love it. They’re the ones that watch it.”

gh181212@ohiou.edu

@charliehatch_