Marching 110 gets down in Columbus for Varsity Show at Ohio Theatre

Though the Ohio University Marching 110 strives to give its audiences new and creative performances, its traditions are never overlooked.  

The 110 will continue those traditions as it travels to Columbus on Monday for its yearly Varsity Show at the Ohio Theatre, where it will perform all of Fall Semester’s halftime hits.

“It was like a culmination of the whole year all wrapped up in one night,” said Andy Barber, president of the Ohio University Marching 110 Alumni Society, on the band’s recent performance at OU. “It was always amazing that we were able to memorize those songs and still be able to play them.”

Saturday, the ensemble performed its Varsity Show at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.

“One of the biggest reasons why I chose to go to OU was ever since I was in eighth grade, my school band went to the Varsity Show,” said Josiah Pugh, a saxophone player and freshman studying biology. “I would just sit there and have goose bumps. Now to think that … I will be playing in the same show is beyond me.”

After a long and grueling season, band members look forward to displaying their talent as a reward for their efforts throughout the past months of long practices and difficult sets. For Pugh, the Homecoming show proved to be the most challenging of the season’s performances because of the short amount of time available to perfect the sets.

However, despite the difficulties, Pugh thinks the success of the Marching 110 is because the sense of community between band members.

“You come to practice and you already feel like you’re at home,” Pugh said. “You know everyone’s working towards a common goal.”

The show is an opportunity for the band to showcase its talent in an environment to which members are less accustomed. Instead of running sets on the field, they will play in the historic Ohio Theatre, otherwise known as the “Official Theatre of the State of Ohio.”

Although the performance will be in a more traditional concert setting, the band will not sacrifice its animated vibe.

“We don’t make forms or anything, but it’s a lot more dancing and grooving,” said Daniel Dreyer, a freshman euphonium player studying music education. “We have cool lights going on and everything like that. Instead of being something that adds to the football game, the Varsity Show focuses on the band.”

jb540612@ohiou.edu

@jburroughs88

This story appeared in print under the headline "110 to perform season

highlights in Columbus"