OU named top producer of Fulbright Scholars

Ohio University is cranking out Fulbright Scholars, according to one publication. 

The university was named a top producer of Fulbright Scholars in the Chronicle of Higher Education's November issue. OU had five Fulbright recipients this year alone, according to a university news release.

Beth Clodfelter, OU's director of the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards, credited the university's dedicated students, faculty and staff, for receiving the distinction.

"Ohio University has a long tradition of producing Fulbright Scholars," Clodfelter said, in the release.

The U.S. Student Fulbright Scholarship Program funds graduate students studying, teaching and conducting research abroad.

Of the five OU students who received a spot in the program this year, four will teach English as a foreign language and one will conduct research, the release said.

"Our dedicated faculty and staff work tirelessly to broaden our students' horizons through international opportunities," said OU President Roderick McDavis, in the release. "Programs such as the Fulbright Program strengthen Ohio University's student-centered learning community and greatly enhance our world class educational experience."

The university was compared to Boston University, Texas Tech University and New York University.

OU students receiving the award are:

• Ashley Enyeart, English and German major - will teach English in German secondary schools.

• Matt Kessler, a master’s student awarded the first Thailand Fulbright, will teach English.

• Eden Kinkaid, will conduct research in India about the Indian seed-saving movement to aid local farmers

• Alex Lilly, an English major, will teach English in Malaysia.

• Chelsea Patton, German and Creative Writing major, will teach in German secondary schools.

dd195710@ohiou.edu

@WillDrabold