OUPD sees Halloween arrests decrease

The Ohio University Police Department charged 28 people in connection with various offenses during the Halloween Block Party on Court Street last weekend, police data show.

The charges filed consisted of underage drinking, intoxication, obstructing, disorderly by fighting and public urination, according to the OUPD report.

Over the entire weekend, OUPD filed 44 charges, down from the 55 charges filed last year.

Police Chief Andrew Powers said he had no comment about the fluctuations in charges filed this year to avoid speculation.

If arrests are any indication, Athens experienced a tamer Halloween Block Party as the number of arrest this year made by Athens Police Department and Ohio Investigative Unit were also lower than in 2012.

Athens Police made 45 arrests Saturday compared to 49 arrests last year. The Ohio Investigative Unit, the state entity in charge of undercover agents, arrested 55 people, a decrease from 79 the previous year.

“The weekend was very similar to Halloween events in the past,” Eric Wolf, the agent in charge of administration for the investigative unit. “For the most part, the individuals at the party were enjoying themselves and having a fun week.”

Kyle Loftus, a sophomore at OU studying media arts and studies who has experienced two Halloweens in Athens, said the crowd this year seemed larger but less aggressive compared to last year.

“I felt like people were just trying to be reckless last year,” Loftus said. “Whereas this year I think everyone was just focused on enjoying it together.”

@Joshiemoshie7

jl951613@ohiou.edu