McDavis

Pay raises deemed illegal, force public board vote

Ohio University’s Board of Trustees committed to publicly voting on OU President Roderick McDavis’ pay raises after reports surfaced that the way in which it approved his most recent salary increases was illegal.

McDavis’ bonus and pay raises — granted at the August and November board meetings totaling $78,400 — will be voted on publicly at the next board meeting Jan. 24 at OU’s Eastern campus in St. Clairsville, Ohio.

McDavis and his wife Deborah McDavis were each given raises at the board’s Aug. 30 and Nov. 1 meetings, though there was no public vote and discussion was conducted in a closed-door meeting. Those actions are invalid until the trustees vote publicly in January.

In addition, the board will publicly vote on “any actions regarding the president’s compensation both now and in the future,” said Peter Mather, secretary to the board, in an email.

The president’s contract states that he is eligible for a bonus equal to 25 percent of his base salary each fiscal year based on his performance that will be paid within 30 days.

McDavis received the $62,250 bonus, but it’s not necessary for him to return it until the board formally approves it in January, Mather said.

“We don’t believe that this is necessary for him to return it. The board will review the situation and decide whether to ratify the previous increases and bonus at the January meeting,” Mather said.

McDavis’ contract states that he will receive the bonus if he meets “mutually agreed upon predefined goals.”

Jennifer Kirksey, McDavis’ chief of staff, could not be reached for comment late Thursday night.

In August, the board decided to raise McDavis’ salary 2.89 percent from $415,000 to $427,000 and awarded him a one-time $62,250 bonus.

At last Friday’s meeting, the board “clarified” that the president is eligible for a raise from a fund dedicated to faculty and staff salary increases the board voted to create in August. That would have increased his salary another $4,150, bringing his salary and bonus to $493,400.

The board last formally voted on McDavis’ compensation in September 2012 when his new contract was approved, Mather said.

dd195710@ohiou.edu

@WillDrabold