Sports Column: Bobcats set up for a slam dunk season

Before Ohio’s season began, I wrote that this year’s squad could exceed many people’s expectations.

The year is still early, but Ohio (3-1) has shown its potential, which was merely speculation before the year began.

The Bobcats’ only blunder has been a 10-point loss to No. 8 Ohio State, which was a moral victory in itself for an Ohio club that was picked by the Mid-American Conference coaches to finish third in the MAC East this year.

Because the NCAA’s rule changes for defending a ball handler have led to 99 fouls for the Bobcats so far this year, games have been slower than in the past. However, I think players will eventually adjust to the whistles and find their grooves on the floor.

Stevie Taylor, a junior point guard, has emerged as a leader after backing up D.J. Cooper each of the past two seasons. Taylor proved that Wednesday evening when he led Ohio to a comeback victory by scoring a game-winning three-point play during the final seconds against Morgan State.

Taylor, who wasn’t awarded the starting point guard role until the end of camp, is averaging 11 points per game and has kept control of the offense while Javarez “Bean” Willis continues to gel with his teammates.

Perhaps the most surprising player thus far is six-foot-nine forward Maurice Ndour, a transfer from Monroe College who leads Ohio with more than 16 points per game. Being that he’s Ohio’s tallest starter, he can block shots, throw down thunderous dunks and out-stretch defenders for rebounds. He’s also made four-of-eight attempts from downtown this season. The best part about Ndour? He’s still raw talent.

As the season goes on, Ndour will continue to improve his offensive game and become more of a force to reckon with in the paint. Hands down, he’s one of the most athletic players in the MAC, despite having played just four NCAA games.

Although Ohio has shown its potential, it needs to continue to improve and cannot slip against weaker competition such as Saturday’s Division III opponent, Heidelberg.

Chad Lindskog is a junior studying journalism and The Post’s Sports Editor. What are your thoughts on this year’s Bobcat basketball team? Let him know @ChadLindskog or cl027410@ohiou.edu