State representatives to convene in Athens

Two of Ohio’s state legislators will spend a Friday away from their Columbus offices to engage with some of their student constituents at Ohio University.

State Sen. Lou Gentile, D-Steubenville, and Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany will spend Friday afternoon with Student Senate members, followed by a public presentation about their Statehouse roles at 6:30 p.m. in the Amanda Cunningham Leadership Center in Baker University Center.

“There’s a big disconnect between us and our elected leaders,” said Jordan Ballinger, senate governmental affairs commissioner. “This is putting a name to a face.”

The officials will give an overview of their daily responsibilities and answer students’ questions about how they represent their interests in Columbus.

“I think it’s important that we have good communication for me to understand their needs and for them to understand what I’m trying to accomplish at the Statehouse,” Gentile said.

Phillips was on OU’s Athens campus Saturday to discuss how students can be more involved in the state’s funding of higher education. She was at Hocking College on Thursday.

Senate members will host a reception for their organization and the state officials in the senate office at 4 p.m. before giving them a tour of campus and going to dinner at Stephen’s On Court, 66 North Court St.

Senate members passed a resolution Wednesday to allocate $230 of senate funds to pay for the meal and the legislators’ parking.

Ballinger hopes the personal time with Gentile and Phillips will allow for a “jargon-free” conversation about topics ranging from student trustee voting rights to Rep. Michael Henne’s, R-Clayton, proposed changes to the way universities opt students into their health insurance policies.

“We (will) get to interact with them and see and get to know exactly what they’re doing,” Ballinger said.

Some senate members expressed their desire to continue their relationship with the state officials after Friday and foster student involvement in state government.

“It’s just nice for them to be coming to us to be open,” said Anna Morton, senate vice president. “Hopefully it’ll spark more interest in the student population.”

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock