Student Senate hosts state representatives Phillips and Gentile during in-town visit

Two state officials spent their Friday afternoon conversing with some of their Ohio University student constituents.

Sen. Lou Gentile, D-Steubenville, and Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany, visited OU at Student Senate’s invitation for an evening on campus, a meet and greet in the senate office, dinner at Stephen’s On Court, 66 N. Court St. and a public presentation about their statehouse roles in Baker University Center, which about 30 attended, said Nick Southall, senate president.

“It’s an opportunity for us to have some dialogue about issues (that students) view as impactful to the institution they are intending,” Gentile said.

Senate hoped the officials’ visit not only sparked student interest but encouraged them to become more involved in government.

“I thought it was really great when they kind of touched on school funding and things like that,” Southall said. “I think it’s great that students are becoming more aware of that.”

Senate members approved a resolution Wednesday to allocate $230 of senate funds to pay for the meal and the legislators’ parking.

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock

This article appeared in print under the headline "Student Senate hosts state representatives"