One of the many parking meters that stand on OU's campus. The senate has recently increased efforts to enforce the time limits on these meters. (OLIVIA RANEY | For The Post)

Student Senate pays it forward, excites drivers who couldn't make it back to the meter in time

When the meter starts ticking, you have two hours before a $10 ticket for an “expired meter” will grace your windshield.

But a Student Senate initiative might get you a bigger fine.

Senate will put a quarter in expiring meters — which amounts to 20 minutes — and a note on the vehicle with senate’s contact information on cars that are parked in Ohio University parking areas.

If a car is parked in an OU space for more than two hours, the car will be served a $25 citation for “overtime parking,” according to Parking Services website.  Senate will feed the meters with $50 from internal funds in an effort to make the body more visible, said Alex George, University Life commissioner.

“One of the biggest issues we have faced since I have been on senate … has been getting senate’s name out there,” said Jenna Stenger, Scripps College senator who brainstormed the idea. “I was just trying to think of ways to make senate more … relevant on campus.”

Reaching out to students is one of the main goals of senate, Nick Southall, senate president said.

“I think it’s a good program,” Southall said. “We’re here to help students … in whatever capacity we can." Some senate members hope the gesture will extend beyond the body.

“Not only do we want to outreach to the students, we also want to send a good message,” George said. “We are kind of hoping for a pay it forward type of message.”

Some involved in the senate program know the pain of an unexpected note from Parking Services and hope to save at least some from the fee.

“One of the most obnoxious things in the world is a parking ticket, and knowing that we could help students … that would be really great,” Stenger said.

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock