Student trustee voting rights inch closer to becoming reality in Ohio

House Bill 111 is one step closer to reaching a vote on the floor of Ohio’s House of Representatives, where supporters of the bill are optimistic about it passing.

The House Education Committee unanimously passed the bill, which would allow each state university’s Board of Trustees to determine whether their student trustees can vote, Monday night.

Ohio University’s Board of Trustees has yet to take a stance on the bill, but its two student trustees are split on the issue.

“At this point it doesn’t really come into effect right now, so there are a lot of others things we’re still dealing with,” said Amanda Roden, OU’s second-year student trustee who has expressed her disapproval of student trustee voting rights. “I’m just interested to see where this goes.”

Traditionally, OU student trustees don’t favor voting rights for their positions, but Keith Wilbur, OU’s first-year student trustee, disagrees.

“I’m not sure when the floor vote will be, but it had a lot of support from the committee,” said Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany, who sits on the House Education Committee. Athens falls in Phillips’ district.

The bill’s co-sponsors, Rep. Michael Stinziano, D-Columbus, and Rep. Mike Duffey, R-Worthington, have previously said they expect the bill to pass in the House, but expect more opposition in the Senate.

Rob Nichols, spokesman for Gov. John Kasich, could not be reached for comment.

— Lucas Darpile contributed.

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock