That's a Wrap: Money too important in film production

When people first began making movies, it was an art, a newfound way to interpret emotion through pictures and motion. The industry was predominantly women who told stories and directed, but at the time there was not much output because not many people would pay to see such films. It was more of an attraction that a few people would make for audience enjoyment. Eventually the industry began to grow because of the potential revenue films could make.

As the industry grew, so did the art of filmmaking, but as time goes on, it is becoming more about making money rather than works of art. The producers that profit from these films wanted more people to pay to watch these films, so they would add things to film that they thought people wanted to see, like sexual content. This was all an attempt to decrease the risk of a film failing and prevent a loss in revenue from occurring. The industry also began to form adaptations.

Producers assumed that by making movies of already popular books, radio or comics, the turnout would be great. This was as true then as it is now.

Movies now follow this pattern consistently. Many movies made now are done by people who have already made a name for themselves, or are an adaptation or continuation of something already popular. If you look at the highest grossing film franchises and film series, many of them will soon have a sequel or spin-off in the next few years. This pattern has grown continuously since movies became a business, but it is starting to change.

With the widespread usage of Netflix, independent films are becoming more popular. Consumers and producers tend to think alike in the sense that it was not worth paying for a movie that may end up bad. This mindset was not good for the indie genre since the films are a risky buy. If the films are not based on your favorite book or made by a favorite director, then you probably wouldn’t spend money to see it since there is a possibility it might not be good. Now, online streaming has changed the game. There is no risk when it comes streaming independent films. Now indie films receive more viewership through online recommendations. I believe Netflix has given the movie industry an opportunity to make money without worrying about risk.

Big production studios are now distributing more independent films. This gives the opportunity to filmmakers to make the film they want with all the control they need without the production companies breathing down their necks in an attempt to make the films more popular. If the movie does well enough at film festivals then companies will fight to gain the rights and distribute it. Companies in return are guaranteed profit, and filmmakers can bring back the art in their films.

Abdalah El-Barrad is a freshman studying economics and a columnist for The Post. Do you think the art of film still exists? Email him at

ae738513@ohiou.edu.