Athens Birth Circle offers family-friendly entertainment

The New Year is approaching, and many Athens residents anticipate a long night of celebration to ring in 2014. However, those searching for more family-friendly festivities can rest assured that the Athens Birth Circle will provide appropriate entertainment for the whole family.

The Birth Circle, a group dedicated to the support of children and families throughout pregnancy and beyond, is hosting a JIVE! New Year’s Celebration at Jackie O’s on New Year’s Eve. This is the third consecutive year of the JIVE! New Year’s Celebration.

“We have sold out the past two years,” said secretary Suzanne Perry. “Our major sponsors are Jackie O's, Fluff Bakery, The Liz Maule Team at The Athens Real Estate Company, Matthew Sweeney Appraisals, and the OU Employees Credit Union. Many other businesses are donating food and door prizes. Snowville Creamery is donating chocolate milk for the kids.”

The Birth Circle hopes to provide resources for families in order to build a strong community in Athens. Its programs include monthly meetings, a playgroup, a library and an online discussion forum. One of the Birth Circle’s most popular programs is the “Meals for Moms.” Volunteers sign up to provide and deliver meals to new parents who signed up for the service during pregnancy.

“We are a non profit support and discussion group for pregnant and new families in the Athens area,” said executive director Molly Wales. “We have many support groups, including groups for infertility and pregnancy loss. It is completely free and open to the public.”

@jburroughs88

jb540612@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: JIVE! New Year’s Celebration

When: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday

Where: Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St.

Admission: $5 for kids, $15 for adults (tickets available at Fluff Bakery or through Paypal)