Provided.

SantaFest will be held Uptown on Saturday to kick-off the holiday season in Athens

Christmas is still more than two weeks away, but Santa Claus will be hitting Court Street on Saturday.

In fact, hundreds of Santas might be running around Uptown for SantaFest.

SantaFest will be a more toned-down version of SantaCon, a celebration held in 309 locations in 42 countries each year.

The event consistently draws hundreds of people in Santa outfits to celebrate the holidays before Christmas.

In 2007, SantaCon set a Guinness World Record in Ireland for most people dressed as Santa in the same place. The event garnered more than 13,000 people.

Last year, a group of Ohio University students ventured to New York City for the annual SantaCon and decided to bring the festivities to Athens.

“We had the time of our lives there and we decided the only place in the country that could take SantaCon to new heights is of course Athens, Ohio,” said Colin O’Grady, a senior studying marketing who helped bring the event to Athens. “So we came up with the idea of SantaFest to make it more Athens-like.”

With a logo designed by 2013 OU alumnus Rudy Slama, O’Grady and his cousins created a Facebook page and Twitter account to promote the event.

Bars including The Pigskin Bar and Grille, Jackie O's Pub & Brewery and Tony's Tavern are preparing for the festivity by having drink specials and DJs.

“We are having discounts on our famous drink, Tony’s Hot Nut, for people who bring canned goods,” said Tony’s manager Josh Chandler.

Participants are encouraged to bring canned goods for Athens County Food Pantry to help those in need this holiday season. Those will be collected at bars that are participating in the fest.

SantaFest begins around noon and will last all day.

Although wearing a full-on Santa suit is encouraged, wearing a snowman costume, a Buddy-The-Elf costume, a Christmas sweater or just a Santa hat is acceptable, O’Grady said.

Ted Rosenberry, a junior studying meteorology, said he is looking for something fun and festive before leaving for winter break.

“I hope it can turn into something that I can say to my friends and family that it is something that will be worth coming to Athens and don’t want to miss out during the holiday season,” Rosenberry said.

@_SuhyeonPark

This article ran in print under the headline "Santas bring holiday festivities Uptown"