Science with Dan: Behavior during finals can affect well-being

In the next few weeks, the semester will be brought to an end. Our culmination of knowledge, or lack thereof, will be tested and these results may have a significant impact on our futures. I, for one, try to stay as calm, cool and collected as I can. Others fret and cause themselves to lose sleep because of the worry associated with failing. In previous semesters, I have witnessed students take what I can only guess would amount to years off their lives due to the stress that finals carry with them as well as the unhealthy practices that many employ into their studying regimens.

Students from all walks of life spanning every single university in the country will rampantly abuse Adderall and similar drugs.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be skipped, sometimes for days. This will result in considerable weight loss and a few extra swipes in the market. These students will suffer from dehydration and possibly paranoia if they forgo sleep long enough. Down the road it may cause cardiovascular problems and strokes, but when weighed next to the almighty “A” it begins to sound far less severe.

Coffee shops will be raking in the dough. The lines to get a cup of joe will more than likely be comparable to rush hour traffic.

Some may wonder why no one has come up with a way to link an IV of Red Bull into their arms. Students will be annoyingly tapping pencils on the tables of the library as they sink their noses into their books because they can’t sit still.

Headache, fatigue, anxiety, irritability and even depression won’t matter after all the tests have been taken because we have become so accustomed to the instant gratification that comes with succeeding at all costs.

I can’t leave out the pearly whites. Teeth will be taking a beating because who thinks to bring a toothbrush with them to the library? Soda is marketed as a

caffeinated delight, but the wonderful people at the cola companies fail to mention that they are filled with phosphoric acids that eat away at enamel and make our mouths breeding grounds for bacteria and cavities. Poor oral health can cause issues such as heart disease.

For a child starting adulthood, and all that comes with it, it can be overwhelmingly difficult to see the future in a rational light. The long-term consequences of everyday choices are impossible to know. Many think that statistics are about other people. I am willing to venture that no sane person would put a gun to his head and play Russian roulette, but because we don’t have an imminent threat in our hands we fail to see that these activities are high-risk, and every time we abuse our bodies we are spinning the barrel.

Dan Maloney is a sophomore studying biological science and a columnist for The Post. Email him at dm933612@ohiou.edu.