PROVIDED

Winter Wine Express keeps moving on

Life can feel like an unstoppable locomotive sometimes but Stuart’s Opera House is hoping to make that ride a little more enjoyable with wine and cheese.

Stuart’s, 52 Public Square, is hosting its annual Winter Wine Express train ride from the historic Nelsonville Depot, 33 W. Canal St., to Logan. The train ride includes wine with cheese and crackers as well as a sketched Stuart’s Opera House wine glass for those in first class.

Brian Koscho, marketing director for Stuart’s, said the non-profit organization runs this fundraiser three times throughout the year — summer, fall and winter.

“Our focus usually with fundraisers is to do things that are successful to raise money, but more importantly than that, are fun,” Koscho said. “We want people to have a really good time, it’s not just 'hey write us a check.'”

All of the money raised goes to supporting the non-profit efforts of the Opera House, including keeping the doors open and operating as well as larger events such as the Nelsonville Music Festival.

Koscho added that it’s also a way to experience a bit of Southeast Ohio history.

The Winter Wine Express is run in cooperation with Hocking Valley Scenic Railway, which was founded in 1972 to provide train rides on the historic tracks that once connected Toledo to Athens and Pomeroy, according to the railway's website.  

Koscho said there are obvious perks to being in first class such as padded seats, air conditioning for the summer months and the added wine glass, but many patrons prefer the coach seats for its authentic feel.

“The coach car is a historically renovated car which is more period accurate on the inside,” Koscho said. “Some people love that one and would never want to sit in the first class because they’re excited about sitting in the old seats.”

Tickets are still available and can be purchased online at stuartsoperahouse.org

If You Go

What: Winter Wine Express

When: 6 p.m. Saturday

Where: Nelsonville Depot, 33 W. Canal St.

Admission: Coach seats $25 in advance and $30 on the day. First class seats $35 in advance $40 on the day.

wh092010@ohiou.edu

@Wilbur_Hoffman