Women's Basketball: Ohio finds life on the road tough, even in Puerto Rico

Fun in the sun didn’t translate to the court in Puerto Rico as Ohio dropped both of its games in the San Juan Shootout against University of Illinois at Chicago and No. 8 Maryland.

Despite losing 84-60, the Ohio women’s basketball team played better against the nationally ranked Terrapins (7-1) than it did in its 76-67 loss to UIC (5-2) the day before.

At one point in the first half, Ohio led Maryland 14-11, and had it not been for the Terrapins’ subsequent 26-5 run, the Bobcats could have been in the game down the stretch with a chance for the monumental upset.

“I thought we played harder today,” coach Bob Boldon said. “We had a good look at the tape last night, and sometimes the truth hurts. You need to look at the tape and see what you're doing wrong and make adjustments, and I thought the brightest spot of the trip is that we showed we made some adjustments and made a better effort. Being able to make improvements is what this non-conference slate is all about.”

Ohio hung with Maryland for the most part during the second half, as the Bobcats found their offensive rhythm connecting on six of their 12 attempts from behind the arc and 11-of-23 from the field scoring.

The offense was an improvement from the day before, when Ohio finished having made just 34 percent from the field against the Flames. The Bobcats were also significantly outrebounded 47-33.

“We're a very young team, and at times our immaturity shows,” Boldon said. “We're not nearly as tough as we need to be. We've got to do a better job of being more disciplined and doing things that we know are required to win basketball games.”

The hardest part of the Bobcats’ schedule is now out of the way, as they played two teams ranked in the top 10 in Louisville and Maryland during the past four games. It also hasn’t helped that all those games have been away from The Convo.

During the stretch of road contests, Boldon has shown how he wants his team to play, but he’s also shown the Bobcats’ blaring weaknesses, with just five games remaining before Mid-American Conference play begins.

Ohio has launched an average of 25 three-point attempts per game, which is five more than their opponents shoot. Ohio has had variable success so far, as its poor shooting might have cost the Bobcats the game against UIC, but it also pushed them past Xavier.

Where the Bobcats are severely lacking is on the boards, though, as they are being outrebounded by more than 10 per game. Each of the Bobcats’ forwards are underclassmen, with the tallest player being freshman Jasmine Weatherspoon at 6-foot-2.

Ohio looks to return to its winning ways next Thursday when it travels to Cleveland State (3-3) to wrap up its six-game road trip. One of the Vikings’ three victories includes a 76-67 win against Morehead State, which Ohio defeated 64-56 in overtime.

ak840511@ohiou.edu

@Kovarandrew