Women's Center donates books to fight rape culture

Many Ohio University students are passionate about eliminating rape culture in the Athens area, and this movement for raising awareness of sex crimes isn’t confined to College Green and the bricks of Court Street.

One OU office is spreading this knowledge of sexual assault and domestic violence book by book to far-reaching parts of Appalachian Ohio.

Last month, the Survivor Advocacy Program Outreach for Meigs and Perry counties—part of OU’s Women’s Center—donated 20 books related to rape culture to each of the four branches in the Meigs County District Public Library system, according to a release from the program.

The books are targeted toward audiences ranging from adults to children and are meant to raise awareness about prevention and treatment of crimes such as domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking.

Some of the books featured: Why Does He Do That? by Lundy Bancroft and In Love and In Danger: A Teen’s Guide to Breaking Free of Abusive Relationships by Barrie Levy.

The library system has branches in Pomeroy, Middleport, Racine and Reedsville and has been in existence in different fashions since 1900.

Before the end of next year, officials at the OU outreach program hope to donate another 60 books.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine’s Office for Victims of Crime is footing the bill for the program, according to the release.

Once these books are on the shelves, Meigs County residents will hopefully be more vigilant in seeking help for these kinds of crimes, said Kat Wargo, the OU program’s outreach coordinator.

“OUSAP-OMP is happy to present the Safe and Healthy Relationships Library Campaign to raise awareness about sexual assault, domestic violence, and stalking in Meigs County,” Wargo said in the release.

sh335311@ohiou.edu

@SamuelHHoward