Athens bars gear up for business of those who brave the cold winter weather

Uptown bars will crank the heat and serve up “beer blankets” for cold students looking to enjoy the day off from classes Tuesday.

As Ohio University closes its doors, many Uptown establishments are expecting an influx of student activity.

“(Monday) I’ll be studying at Alden … but I should be done there just in time for happy hour at Jackie O’s,” said Steven Lewis, a senior studying political science. “There will probably be a decent number of students out (Tuesday), but I don’t think I’ll do that myself. I don’t know if I’m that brave.”

However, most bars are looking to continue on as usual.

“We’re treating it like another business day,” said Clark Benson, bartender at Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St.

Most bar employees stressed the importance of being safe in the cold weather as there is an increased risk of hypothermia when drinking in freezing temperatures.

Nonetheless, bars such as J-Bar, 41 N. Court St., and The Pigskin, 38 N. Court St., will host specials for patrons looking to indulge during the coming cold.

Dustin Kelly, assistant manager at J-Bar, said he plans on coming up with a few specials for Tuesday’s rush but thinks it will likely be shots of pre-mixed Ice Surge.

Allison Giehl, catering sales manager at The Pigskin, said the bar will open at 11 a.m. to include its lunch hours and extend the usual burger special (a Pigskin burger and fries for $5.99) all day long.

Lucky’s Sports Tavern, 11 N. Court St., though, will take precautions, moving its opening time Monday-Wednesday of this week back from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. “due to the cold temperatures.”

@Wilbur_Hoffman

wh092010@ohiou.edu

Fast Fact: Too Cold?

24-proof liquor freezes at 20 F

64-proof liquor freezes at minus 10 F

84-proof liquor freezes at minus 30 F