Council discusses roadway extensions

Ohio University students might return in the fall to find several on- and near-campus streets connected, extended or rerouted, city officials said.

Harry Wyatt, associate vice president for Facilities at OU, presented plans to reroute various city streets at the Athens City Council meeting Monday. OU officials have been discussing plans with various council members for six months to lengthen the streets, Wyatt said.

If the plans are approved, South Green Drive will run from Richland Avenue to Mill Street, where it will merge with Mill Street. Sidewalks and bike paths will also be renovated accordingly, Wyatt said. Further road renovations, such as adding an entry to East Union Street from McKinley Avenue, are also on the table.

“There is existing city property at McKinley Avenue that terminates at East Union Street and dead ends into a parking lot,” Wyatt said.  “It’s an easy connection to make.”

Council President Jim Sands said the city will most likely approve this plan and that he sees no faults with the extension at this time.

“We’re just buying into this,” Sands said. “The university representatives came tonight to bring the concept to the entire council. It’s Ohio University’s desire, we’re just signing it and agreeing to collaborate.”

Sands added that though road renovations may change traffic patterns, he likes the idea of South Green Drive becoming a shortcut to the uptown area.

Councilwoman Chris Knisley, D-at large, also presented information about applying for a grant with Clean Ohio Trails in an effort to improve the bike path on Columbus Road. The deadline for the application is Feb. 1. The city could receive a $500,000 grant and would have to finish improvements in 15 months.

“Our smaller bike path system will go to a larger bike path that’s being developed regionally all the way to Washington D.C.,” Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, said.

The city will look into applying for other grants regarding neighborhood revitalization, Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl added.

Appalachia Zero Waste Initiative also presented information to City Council that aims to make recycling easier and more proactive for the community this year by educating the community on recycling, zero waste efforts and landfills. In February, a Zero Waste Initiative committee will be formed, officials said.

City Council chambers, 8 E. Washington St., are also in the process of renovations. Improvements are expected to be completed by the end of this month.

“We’ll have much more floor space to develop all kinds of activities here,” Sands said.

@eockerman

eo300813@ohiou.edu