County officials saw higher numbers of residents carrying guns in 2013

More than double the number of people flocked to Athens County Sheriff Pat Kelly’s office last year to apply for concealed carry licenses than had done so in 2012, according to local officials and data from the state.

More than 700 people applied for permits to carry concealed weapons in Athens County in 2013, Kelly said. That’s a significant leap from the 339 applications in 2012, according to data from Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine’s office.

In 2012, 296 new permits and 36 renewals were issued in the county, according to the state data. Seven were denied and two licenses were suspended.

Kelly’s office said applications from 2013 are still being processed so there’s no breakdown of how many applications were approved or denied. He also said there are many reasons why people are arming themselves, including recent school shootings and increasing debate on the topic.

“We’ve been up in concealed carry in the past couple of years,” Kelly said, noting that Athens produces more gun permits than surrounding counties. “I think we’re seeing that increase statewide — more people are coming forward and getting their concealed carry permits.”

Kelly added that about half of 2013’s applications were new and half were renewals.

Pat Lightfoot, an investigator with the Hocking County Sheriff’s Office who issues concealed carry permits, said he has also seen a spike in applicants.

In the fourth quarter of last year, Lightfoot said the sheriff’s office issued about 108 permits —56 new and 52 renewals.

“It was 36 and five for the same quarter in 2012,” he said.

Those who apply for a permit at a local sheriff’s office are also required to take a class in handling and cleaning weapons.

Some suspect the reasoning behind more locals applying for a permit to carry a concealed weapon is more finite: President Barack Obama.

“The president’s attitude toward firearms probably has something to do with it. (Democrats) try to blame anyone who carries a firearm,” said Pete Couladis, chairman of the Athens County Republican Party. “Every time some nutcase kills some people, especially kids, you hear comments from the anti-gun people saying they want restrictions. People have had access to guns before, and we didn’t have these problems.”

Kelly said people shouldn’t worry about the increase in applicants for concealed carry licenses because the phenomenon is occurring statewide and doesn’t necessarily mean more locals are carrying weapons.

“Probably less than 10 percent actually carry the weapon,” Kelly said.

Ken Hanson, legislative chair for the Buckeye Firearms Association, said the demand for concealed carry licenses is likely to continue increasing.

“People are more and more often realizing that the only people that can protect them is themselves,” Hanson said. “The numbers will continue to be through the roof.”

@eockerman

eo300813@ohiou.edu