Dylan Chase, a sophomore music education and trombone performance double-major, plays his trombone in front of Cutler Hall at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2014. Chase will be performing with the trombone choir this weekend for Trombone Day. (KAITLIN OWENS | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Get your brass in gear and slide on down to Glidden for Trombone Day

Andy Millat, the principal trombone for the Columbus Symphony Orchestra, will make the drive down to Ohio University Sunday just like he used to do for four years.

Millat was an adjunct trombone instructor from 2008 to 2012 as he filled in for then-professor Christopher Hayes. When Hayes became the director of the School of Music in 2012, an official replacement was found in Sarah Paradis. Now, Paradis has asked Millat to return as the featured visiting artist for this year’s Trombone Day, a day filled with events for student trombonists.

Millat said he is more than happy to make the drive again.

“I love to share my love for the trombone,” Millat said. “I’ve been playing for decades now. … I love hearing from kids that are just starting and are still trying to figure out the mechanics of the instrument, as I am too.”

Millat will teach a master class and give private lessons to OU students majoring in trombone. The undergraduate majors and graduate students will also hold private lessons and specialized clinics for high school and middle school performers.

Dylan Chase said he is looking forward to the teaching aspect the most because it gives him a great opportunity to fully explore his double major.

“We haven’t been given the opportunity to (teach) yet,” said Chase, a sophomore studying music education and trombone performance. “They’ll bring in a piece of music they’re working on and I’ll do whatever it is to help them out. … With trombone performance, even most professional musicians teach private lessons on the side.”

At the end of the day, all of the trombonists will gather together in Glidden Recital Hall to play at the final concert.

“There’s nothing like seeing 30-plus trombone players play at the same time,” said Paradis, assistant professor of trombone. “I still can’t believe it.”

Millat said he hopes everyone enjoys this special opportunity.

“I love to play with a group. I call it the ‘sacrament of ensemble,’” he said. “There’s some give and take, sharing, and a connection you make playing in an ensemble. I want to help kindle that in students and show them the joy of playing music together.”

If you go

What Trombone Day Concert

Where Glidden Recital Hall

When 5:30 p.m. Sunday

Admission Free

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohiou.edu