Live Basketball Notebook: Ohio vs. Akron

PREGAME

Ohio (11-3, 1-0) hosts Akron (9-5, 1-0) in its first home Mid-American Conference game of the season. Last year, the Bobcats were 0-3 against the Zips, including a loss in the MAC Championship that relegated the Bobcats to the NIT.

The Bobcats are on the heels of a 59-53 victory over Kent State in which they held the Flashes to 28.3 percent shooting. Akron is riding a three game winning streak, with its most recent victory occurring at Ball State.

Ohio's Starters are: Junior guard Stevie Taylor, senior guard Nick Kellogg, senior forward T.J. Hall, junior forward Maurice Ndour, redshirt senior forward Jon Smith

Akron's Starters are: senior forward Demetrius Treadwell, junior guard Nyles Evans senior forward Nick Harney sophomore center Pat Forsythe, junior guard Deji Ibitayo, sophomore forward Reggie McAdams

FIRST HALF

With 15:19 remaining in the first half, Akron leads Ohio 6-5. The Bobcats pulled within one after a Nick Kellogg three-pointer.

Akron increases lead to 8-5 after a layup by Forsythe.

The Zips lead the Bobcats 8-5 with 11:30 remaining in the first half.

Ohio is shooting 14.3 percent from the field and 14.3 percent from behind the arc.

Akron scores four quick points to take a 12-7 lead with 9: 46 left in the first half.

Ndour picks up his second foul with 9:25 remaining in the first half. Akron still leads 12-8.

Ohio takes the lead, 15-13 after a Travis Wikins three pointer. He was fouled after the shot and converted on a four point play.  7:57 remaining in the first half.

Kellogg with a layup as Ohio ties the score at 17. 4:43 left in the first half.

With timeout on the floor, the Bobcats lead Akron 21-17 with 3:57 remaining in the first half.

Ohio calls timeout with 1:36 left in the first half. Akron leads 23-21.

At halftime Zips lead Ohio 26-25.

SECOND HALF

McAdams converted a three-pointer for the Zips as they now lead 33-29 with 16:22 remaining in the game.

Timeout on the floor as the Zips lead Ohio 37-33 with 15:03 left in the contest.

Bobcats with a quick four point swing after baskets by Ndour and Taylor. Ohio leads 39-38 with 13: 53 remaining in the game.

Ohio now leads 44-41 with 111:28 left in the second half. Ohio's quick hands have turned Zips turnovers into baskets early in the half.

Akron calls timeout as Bobcats take a 49-41 lead after a basket by Ohio's Antonio Cambell. 9:13 left in the game.

Wilkins nets his 12th point of the contest after a made free throw as the Bobcats lead 52-43 with 8:00 minutes left in the contest.

Bobcats take a timeout after Akron cuts Ohio lead to three points. Bobcats lead 54-51 with 4:20 remaining in the game.

Kellogg turns the ball over after stepping out of bounds. Score tied at 60 with 19.7 seconds remaining in the contest.

Kellogg misses two at the buzzer after a Zips turnover. The game heads to overtime with the score locked at 60.

Ndour is fouled and makes both free throws to give Ohio a 62-60 lead with 4:09 remaining in OT.

After a missed Kellogg layup, Kretzer hits a three for the Zips to cut the Bobcats lead to two at 58-56 with 56.4 left in the contest.

Kellogg fouled and makes one of two free throws. Diggs answers on the other end with a two to tie game at 71. Taylor's layup in transition doesn't fall and the team's are headed to a second overtime.

Taylor sinks a three pointer and Treadwell answers with a basket for Akron. Bobcats then answer with a two by Travis Wilkins to retake lead 76-75.

Ndour fouled, makes two free throws and Ohio is down by one point with two minutes remaining in the game.

Bobcats take timeout after a Treadwell basket puts Akron up by three points with 1:40 left in the contest.

Taylor misses a two point attempt and Diggs answers for Akron with 30.4 seconds left in the game. The Zips lead 83-80 and Bobcats have the ball.

Taylor misses a three point attempt and Ohio fouls Evans. He misses both shots and Bobcats have the ball down three with 13.8 seconds remaining.

Kellogg's three at the buzzer falls short and Ohio falls to Akron 83-80 in double overtime.