Fangle, a new publication, covers everything from music to international politics. (KATIE KLANN | PICTURE EDITOR)

New student magazine debuts this week

In the midst of all this newfangled technology expanding consumers’ ways to digest the news, Fangle magazine looks to bring something new to Ohio University’s plethora of student publications.

Through Student Activities Commission funding and more than a year of planning, Natalia Radic, editor-in-chief of Fangle, and her staff of 30 students, put out the magazine’s first issue for the university’s first week back from break.

“There are three different main sections: lifestyle, culture and society,” Radic said. “We like to keep it pretty broad, we don’t like everything to be about Athens and OU, because life outside Athens does exist.”

She wants Fangle to be a general interest magazine covering everything from local music to international politics.

Radic added that she tried to keep the release of Fangle low-key in anticipation for any hiccups that might ensue — and of course they did delay the release by a month.

“Last semester was all about getting the ball rolling and coming up with creative ideas and getting the word that we were looking for people to come work with us,” Radic said.

One such writer that came forth was Amanda DePerro, staff writer and a junior studying journalism, who wrote an article in this week’s issue chronicling the Syrian conflict with a timeline dating back to 1970.

“I thought it was an important story and a lot of people on campus didn’t seem like they know a lot about it,” DePerro said. “Being in Athens and being caught up in school work it’s so easy to not pay attention to what’s going on in the world.”

Lead designer Rachel Daub, a junior studying infographics and publication design, also hopped on the bandwagon early to design the publication’s logo and minimalist clean style.

“It kinda fell on my lap,” Daub said. “(Radic) gave me creative freedom on it and told me what she liked and what she didn’t … We knew we wanted something a lot different than what was already around campus and we wanted something bold.”

And while this is only the first issue, Radic said she hopes the publication will continue on this semester and after she graduates.

“I’m really proud of the way that it looks,” Radic said. “It’s not completely perfect, but it’s as perfect as I could ever hope for.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu

@wilbur_hoffman

If you go:

What: Fangle release party

When: 10 p.m., Thursday

Where: Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St.

Admission: Free