OU reunites with Botswana, talk on educational friendship

A delegation from Botswana was in Athens this week to meet with multiple Ohio University college representatives in an effort to better establish the school’s partnership with the country.

Botswana, a country located in southern Africa, has had a relationship with OU for about 50 years, originating around the same time the university’s African Studies program was created.

Included in the visiting team was Grace Muzila, permanent secretary of the Ministry of Education and Skills Development of Botswana.

“In 2012 there was a team from Ohio University which visited Botswana. That’s when we started resuscitating this relationship in a number of ways,” Muzila said.

Since arriving Sunday, Muzila and her team have kept a busy schedule, meeting with representatives from the College of Business, the Patton College of Education, and the College of Health Sciences and Professions.

Accompanying Muzila from Botswana was Emolemo Morake, Deputy Chief of Mission.

Morake emphasized the importance of American students being more exposed to the people of Botswana in an effort to learn and cultivate friendships.

“Not so many people know about Botswana in this country,” Morake said. “So we were hoping that as the students go and interact with their peers (in Botswana), when they come back they will tell their counterparts here about the country.”

Working closely with the representatives from Botswana was Lorna Jean Edmonds, OU’s vice provost for Global Affairs.

She also emphasized the importance of students learning from the people of Botswana, and says that this partnership is something that not enough people know about.

“We know that building a global economy is about building friendships, and building friendships starts in higher education,” Edmonds said.

@Taylormaple

tm255312@ohiou.edu