Sports Column: Loss of Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett leave Boston Celtics looking to the future

During the 2007-08 season, the Celtics made it apparent they were done rebuilding and wanted to win some more championships by signing Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett.

With guard Rajon Rondo in his second year in Boston and veteran Paul Pierce in his prime, the Celtics were ready for success.

And the moves immediately paid off as Boston claimed its 17th NBA Championship. Although the Celtics didn’t win another during the next five years, they had extremely successful years.

At the end of last season, the Celtics faced a decision that impacted the future of the franchise: contract extensions.

Pierce, who spent his entire career in Boston, seemed more likely to remain a Celtic until he retired, while Garnett’s return was as likely as a coin flip for some Boston fans.

However, both players were traded to Brooklyn, and to make things that much worse, Doc Rivers took his coaching skills to the Los Angeles Clippers.

For the 2013-14 season, Boston has put a whole new meaning to rebuilding.

As new head coach Brad Stevens was handed a young team to go alongside his nonexistent NBA coaching experience. And with Rondo hurt, the Celtics are going back to the dark years.

This past Sunday was a homecoming game for Garnett and Pierce and was the first time the two have been in Boston since the trade.

The Celtics played tribute videos to show each player the organization and fans’ appreciation, plus special introductions in the starting lineups.

In a post-game media conference, the obvious spotlight was not so much on the win as it was the two former Celtics.

“This was the toughest game I ever had to play,” Pierce said. “Tougher than any championship game, any game seven, this game was just really too hard to focus.”

Garnett said, “I had lumps in my throat, I had to keep it under control and focus and concentrate as much as I could on the game and not take away from it, but man this was over the top.”

Garnett and Pierce are two dedicated players and were faced with no other option but to leave and said they want to return before their careers are finished.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohiou.edu