Track and Field: Bobcats make do in indoor event

After a break from competition, the Bobcats hope to regain their stride when they compete at the Tom Wright Classic in Bowling Green.

Ohio will look avoid the cold and when it competes against a pair of Mid-American Conference schools in Bowling Green and Miami on Friday.

“This meet should be exciting facing up against MAC competition,” coach Clay Calkins said. “Miami is good and Bowling Green is up and coming.”

With temperatures reaching the teens, some players may have found it hard to practice indoors during break.

“It was a challenge getting some indoor time. We didn’t want to use The Convo because we didn’t want to overuse it,” Calkin said. “Last year it was easier because the temperatures were not as bad and we were able to get a lot of outside time. We had to be creative, and luckily this year it worked out.”

However, he’s looking forward to using the Walter Fieldhouse as a practice facility for next year’s indoor and outdoor seasons.

Two weeks ago in the Buckeye Classic, junior Donyelle Brown placed fourth and set a personal best of 17.23m in the weight throw event. She also competed in the shot event placing sixth with a 12.41m mark.

Alongside Brown was junior Janiece Rose placing fourth in the shot put with a 12.79m mark. Rose also placed in the top-10 for the weight throwing event, finishing seventh with a throw of 15.14m.

Chanda Cuckler, another junior on the squad, competed in three events at the meet, participating in the 60m hurdles, long jump and shot put.

Running at 9.07 seconds, Cuckler performed her personal-best at the 60m hurdles. She also placed 12th in the long jump, and 14th in the shot put.

She jumped a total of 5.01m for the long jump event and shot a mark of 10.99m in the shot put event.

The Bobcats are coming off a two-week hiatus and will not let the off time determine their outcome Friday.

“The coaching staff scheduled the meets far apart because coming off winter break, they wanted a two-week preparation for this upcoming match,” Calkins said. “We wanted a couple of weeks in between each event so the runners can hone up to their skills.”

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohiou.edu