New York Giants fans at The Crystal rejoice after the Giants victory in Super Bowl XLVI. The Giants won 21-17 over the New England Patriots on Feb. 5, 2012 (BRIEN VINCENT | File Photo).

Uptown bars prep for NFL finale

To one uptown bar manager, the list of best holidays goes: Thanksgiving, the Super Bowl and Christmas.

“The thing about the Super Bowl and other national holidays is that they do the same thing — bring people together,” said Ryan Singer, general manager at The Pub, 39 N. Court St.

The Super Bowl might not be an officially recognized national holiday, but it does happen to fall on Singer’s birthday this year, making Sunday a combined celebration at The Pub for which Singer will organize a potluck meal for employees.

“The commercials are the best part of the Super Bowl,” Singer said fondly. “Everyone gets quiet and we all laugh together.”

Many uptown bars aren’t quite as geared up as Singer, providing few deals or celebrations aside from the usual happy hour or Sunday drink specials.

The Pigskin Sports Bar and Grille is a slight exception, running a special promotion with Bud Light girls in attendance at the event but with no special sales, said Allison Giehl, catering sales manager at the bar.

And though patrons won’t find much to help their pocketbooks at the bar, Wings Over Athens is looking forward to one of its busiest days of the year.

Paul Lampley, assistant general manager at Wings Over, 33 N. Court St., said on Super Bowl Sunday the business is prepared to sell about 6,300 bone-in wings and about 1,000 pounds of boneless wings with a staff three times larger than a normal day.

“We have to do a lot of pre-orders,” Lampley said. “It’s just a football and wings kinda thing, it’s pretty simple.”

@Wilbur_Hoffman

wh092010@ohiou.edu