Katie Klann | File Photo

Ohio University sophomore, Kat Yelle, drives the ball against Xavier University.

Women's Basketball: Bobcats continue hot streak

The Bobcats played with fire but didn’t get burned on their way to a third consecutive victory.

Despite early foul trouble and trailing by four points at halftime, Ohio (8-7, 3-1 Mid-American Conference) steamrolled past Kent State in the season half to win 76-59 for the Bobcats’ longest MAC winning streak since the 2008-09 season.

“We showed a lot of toughness,” coach Bob Boldon said. “It’s difficult to win on the road. We kind of got punched in the mouth early, so to speak … I thought we did a better job ourselves to get in a correct spot defensively. And if you’re gonna win, that’s what you gotta do.”

Playing within ten miles from her hometown of Hudson, Hannah Boesinger, a freshman forward, paced the Bobcat offense and finished with a season-high 18 points. She also made four of five attempts from behind the arc.

The Bobcats allowed the Golden Flashes (3-12, 0-4 MAC) to enter the bonus just five minutes into the game as four players committed fouls, but Ohio held on to maintain its spot as second place in the MAC East.

“(Hannah) picked up her fourth foul with three minutes to go in the first half,” Boldon said. “It’s not about telling her not to play hard … it’s about telling her to get to the right spot to make a play defensively."

After a sluggish first half, the Bobcats began the second on a 15-2 run, which ignited Ohio to have a complete turnaround from the first period.

“These kids spend a ton of time shooting the basketball,” Boldon said. “And it’s only with that kind of confidence can you come out and shoot 63 percent from the three in the second half when you shoot 20 percent from the three in the first half.”

Ohio had five players finish the contest with double digits with sophomore forward Lexie Baldwin (13), sophomore guard Kiyanna Black (11), redshirt sophomore guard Kat Yelle (10), freshman forward Destini Cooper (10) and Boesinger.

However, Kent State senior guard Amber Dunlap led all players in scoring with 19 points.

Only eight players traveled to Kent, as junior guard Mariah Byard and freshman forward Jasmine Weatherspoon did not make the trip because of injury.

The next game for Ohio will be Saturday in The Convo against Ball State.

gh181212@ohio.edu

@charliehatch_