Freshman Lexie Baldwin puts up a shot for Ohio against Xavier forward Maddison Blackwell. The Bobcats beat the Musketeers 94-88 Sunday, Nov. 10, 2013. (Katie Klann | File Photo)

Women's Basketball: Irregularity in play continues to cause problems for Bobcats

The word “consistency” has been missing from Ohio’s vocabulary as it approaches the midpoint of its season.

Although Ohio already has one more win in both its Mid-American Conference and overall (7-7, 2-1 MAC) records in comparison to last season, the team has had a season full of momentum swings.

Here’s a look at some numbers that pop out so far this year.

5 or 6…

“We’ve played some really good teams,” coach Bob Boldon said. “It will be interesting to see how many of those teams make the (NCAA) Tournament, whether that be five or six.”

Ohio opened up its 2013-2014 campaign winning three of its first four games.

When the Bobcats went to Puerto Rico for the San Juan Shootout, their hot streak froze and they lost five of their next six games, including three consecutive matchups.

In fairness, the schedule became significantly harder, including matchups against No. 5 Louisville and No. 6 Maryland.

3…

As the three-point shot goes, so do the Bobcats.

The three-pointer has been the lynchpin of the Ohio offense throughout the season. While the team is shooting 30.2 percent from behind the arc, its accuracy significantly fluctuates every game.

The Bobcats knocked down a MAC-record of 19 three-pointers in an 84-36 victory against the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, on Dec. 30. That night, Ohio had a three-point percentage of 54.3 percent.

But the Bobcats have struggled when their three-point attempts don’t fall. Despite besting Western Michigan 70-53 on Sunday, Ohio finished the game shooting 20.8 percent from three-point land, including a 1-14 first half performance.

13.0…

Despite coming off the bench, sophomore guard Kiyanna Black has been the Bobcats’ leading scorer, averaging 13 points per contest.

Her 35-point performance in Ohio’s season opening win against Xavier and her 29-point performance Sunday are the Bobcats’ two best individual offensive outings of the season.

Ohio’s other two players that post double-digits on average are guards Mariah Byard, a junior, and Quiera Lampkins, a freshman. Both contribute about 10.5 points per game.

6…(again)

Ask first-year coach Boldon and he’ll reiterate this is the youngest team he’s ever worked with.

Half of Boldon’s roster is composed of freshmen, which he said made for a challenging early season slate. Now, his main focus has been on progress and improvement.

“I think there is more attention to detail,” Boldon said. “I think defensively there is more pride in guarding, and they are starting to understand where people can score the basketball from, what players are good at basketball skills and put each other in position to be successful.”

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohiou.edu