Ohio University freshman, Yamonie Jenkins, attempts to shoot against Xavier University on Sunday, November 10, 2013. (KATIE KLANN | PICTURE EDITOR)

Women's Basketball: Ohio to play Kent State without key starter Wednesday

After surpassing its win total it achieved the entire season last year, Ohio will look to continue its hot start to Mid-American Conference play after winning three of its past four games.

The Bobcats (7-7, 2-1 MAC) will also attempt to improve their record to above .500 on Wednesday when they trek to MAC East rival Kent State and win three consecutive games for the first time since 2008-09.

On the other hand, Kent State (3-11, 0-3 MAC) will enter the contest on the other side of the spectrum and attempt to snap a six-game losing streak.

Ohio will have to play without one of their veterans, junior Mariah Byard, who is listed as out for the contest due to injury.

The Bobcats average nearly 10 points more a game offensively than Kent State (64 to 55 points), as Ohio also has three players averaging double-digits in points a game compared to the Golden Flashes’ none.

Montia Johnson, a junior forward for the Golden Flashes, will be the team’s player to watch as she leads Kent State in scoring and rebounds per game averaging almost 10 points and seven boards.

The teams’ offenses operate in different ways, as Ohio’s three-point field goal percentage rests just more than 30 percent, but it has attempted 367 attempts, while Kent State shoots 27 percent, but has attempted less than half of the attempts as Ohio with 162.

Following the win Sunday against Western Michigan, coach Bob Boldon stressed the need to work on cutting down on fouling.

“We’ve had a hard time guarding without fouling lately,” Boldon said. “We’ve had a lot of success the last two games with our ball pressure and been able to take teams out from what they want to do.”

Last season, the teams tied for last place in the MAC with just one total win each, which came against each other, as the two split their two-game series. However, the Bobcats were victorious on the road against the Golden Flashes for the first time since 2008.

gh181212@ohiou.edu

@CharlieHatch_