Activities abound as organization looks to empower women

Empowering Women of Ohio is heading into its seventh annual Empowered Women’s Week, featuring panel discussions, volunteer activities and keynote speakers.

The organization is hosting a diverse week of activities, including a comedy duo “Reformed Whores” and keynote speaker Sandra Fluke. There will also be a panel discussion with The Center of Law, Justice and Culture, titled “Gender, Protest and New Media” focusing on body politics. Miss Northwestern Ohio Kara Mitchell will also be presenting “Out in the Pageant World,” which will focus on her experience in LGBT rights, advocacy and being openly gay.

Lacey Rogers, president of Empowering Women of Ohio, said they are trying to play to a large audience in their planning.

“I hope to get people excited, get people interested,” Rogers said. “We try to really do a variety of events so that everyone can find something that sticks with them that they’re interested in.”

The theme of the week is on slut-shaming and rape culture. Treasurer Katie Dawes said after former Student Senate President Nick Southall’s tweet and the alleged rape on Court Street, they wanted to use this week to talk about those topics.

“We didn’t feel that the university had a good response to that or a good network of responses after that,” Dawes said. “So this is our approach to discussing rape culture and slut-shaming. I would really hope that people would get a revitalized conversation out of that, to understand that it’s still a problem.”

Dawes said she hopes to bring the conversation in an open and honest way she thinks could not be done through the university.

“We’re hoping to open the conversation up as a student-led discussion, not necessarily university-led discussion,” Dawes said. “We’re bringing in some more brash conversation topics when it comes to rape culture so what we’re hoping to bring to the university is a more straightforward conversation than the university could offer because they’re a bureaucratic institution.”

Rogers said that she hopes to reinforce that students can make change, whether they think so or not.

“I think a lot of times, people are like, ‘I’m just one person, I can’t do things,’ ” Rogers said. “I think one thing is that you just have to be passionate and driven to be able to make change or to put on a whole week of events, that’s the thing that drives me personally. Just letting people know that if there’s something that you want to change, you have the power to do that.” 

What: Special Exhibit: “Empower” by artist Jean G. Farmer

When: All week long

Where: Third floor Alden Library

Admission: Free

What: Bitchin’ in the Kitchen

When: 11 a.m., Saturday

Where: 18 N. College St.

Admission: Free

What: Feminist Crafternoon

When: 12 p.m., Sunday

Where: LGBT Center, Baker University Center 354

Admission: Free

What: Panel on Gender, Protest and New Media

When: 4 p.m., Monday

Where: Baker University Center 231

Admission: Free

What: Reformed Whores

When: 7 p.m., Tuesday

Where: Baker Theater

Admission: Free

What: Kara Mitchell, “Out in the Pageant World”

When: 6 p.m., Wednesday

Where: Baker University Center 1804 Lounge

Admission: Free

What: Brown Bag Discussion

When: 12 p.m., Thursday

Where: Women’s Center, Baker University Center 403

Admission: Free

What: Keynote by Sandra Fluke

When: 7 p.m., Thursday

Where: Baker University Center 240

Admission: Free

What: Support Our Survivors Walk

When: 5 p.m., Friday

Where: TBA

Admission: Free

What: Support Our Survivors Walk After-party

When: 6 p.m., Friday

Where: Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St.

Admission: Free 

@reb_barnes

rb605712@ohiou.edu