The remodeled Athens City Council Chambers includes handicapped access ramp among other things. (Seth Archer | For The Post)

Athens City Council almost finished with meeting chamber renovations

The Athens City Council chambers have been home to its fair share of eyesores.

We’re talking wobbly chairs, decade-old carpet, and seating that guaranteed an Athens resident would wander directly in front of the city’s television cameras if they arrived late.

That’s what council members walked into each week for their weekly Monday night meetings in a room on the third floor room of City Hall, 8 E. Washington St.

But after two months and more than $27,000 spent, council members are excited to see a fresh coat of blue paint, a new seating arrangement, modern carpet and a new table to hold up their name plates.

The changes, city council clerk Debbie Walker said, were long over due.

“The last time it was renovated was the mid-80s, and before that it wasn’t the council chambers,” Walker said. “The room now looks so much larger and more clean.”

Walker said that Scott Thompson, director of The Government Channel, Athens’ communication department that provides live television coverage of the council meetings, said the chambers looked drab on TV.

“The government channel wanted a more broadcast-looking set,” Walker said. “Scott has wanted this for a while.”

The city began renovations after Ohio University’s 2013 Fall Semester ended, beginning Dec. 13. Renovators have completed the final aesthetic touches in the past few weeks. The city originally appropriated $35,000 for the project out of last year’s general fund, City Auditor Kathy Hecht said.

“I’m not sure if they’re using all of it yet, but we’re not done with all of the renovations,” Hecht said.

Further renovations, involving the replacement of internal wiring and electrical equipment within the room, will be less noticeable to the public.

It is also possible that the chambers will receive a new television screen, which would be primarily used for presentations during committee meetings.

Councilwoman Chris Knisely, D-at large, said some of the chambers’ largest changes came from the more simple renovations, such as moving council members closer to the fire exit and adding an accessibility ramp to the council member’s table.

Additionally, Walker said, all new furnishings within the council chambers were made in the USA at the overwhelming request of city officials.

@eockerman

eo300813@ohiou.edu