Beauty and the Bobcat: Dress warmly, stylishly until spring really arrives

The weather outside has definitely been frightful and even though “spring” break is upon us, we won’t be breaking out shorts or crop tops any time soon. I’m sure most people are wishing upon a star for warmer days to come. I know I am, because I hail from the tropical climate of Florida. Being a Floridian doesn’t only mean I have reptilian blood, it also means that I don’t fully understand one of the major Ohioan clothing staples: North Faces.

Before every single one of you gets offended, let me first begin by saying that I do own one. OK, I own two. Let me also say that The North Face does make some cute styles of coats, but the style that I will be specifically referring to is the ever-popular fleecy one.

While trying to put my thoughts about North Faces into words, I texted my (Ohioan) friend for some input. Then it dawned on me. Enjoy an excerpt from the conversation:

Me: Will I offend people if I talk about North Faces in a negative way?

Maddy: I’ll sure be offended. I (emoji heart) my North Face.

Me: They’re the sweatpants of the coat world.

Maddy: Now that’s profound.

When I get all dolled up (which is usually every day), I feel like putting on a fleece coat takes the glam level of my look down a few notches, and I’m not about that. I do hate being cold, but beauty is pain right? OK, that’s a little extreme but what I’m trying to say is that I feel my best with a pulled-together outfit, and when it’s not pulled together I feel frumpy.

That being said, I usually only wear a North Face on two occasions: when paired with yoga pants or other comfy clothes and when I am just having a lazy day. These are usually concurrent.

What do I wear instead, you ask? Obviously, layering is a must in winter months and I probably couldn’t live without long-sleeve tees. My favorites are from Victoria’s Secret Pink because they’re comfy and form-fitting so they wear well under clothes. They’re about $25, and Pink normally has them on sale two for $40.

I also love sweaters, all of them. During winter break I went crazy and bought a bunch. You can find cute, comfy sweaters almost anywhere you go, and thrift stores always have those cool patterns straight out of a Huxtable family portrait. Pair ’em with a chunky knit scarf and you’ll be looking cute and cozy.

My go-to outerwear has been my leather jacket, which was a gift from my mom, so I’m not entirely sure how much it cost. Leather jackets are really in this season, and any store that is worth shopping at has them. I do admit that it doesn’t keep me warm — at all. But it’s fabulous and stylish and that’s what layering is for!

When I’m really feeling the snow-bunny vibe I wear my puffy, army-green coat that I got at Forever 21 for about $50. Army has been a huge motif in fashion this season with everything from camo scarves to combat boots. I have to admit, I do love it, but I still wouldn’t be caught dead in camo. It’s just not my thing.

Normally, I have a pair of gloves in almost every one of my jackets/coats, and my favorites this year have been the Lauren by Ralph Lauren Tech Gloves which are about $80 at Nordstrom. They’re cute brown and black leather with subtle material on the thumbs and pointer fingers for use with touchscreen devices. Gloves hadn’t been part of my wardrobe until I came to Ohio University, but I don’t think I could’ve survived the winter without getting frostbite before the invention of tech gloves. They’re great.

Now that I think about it, I feel like I purchased my North Faces because I felt like I needed them to fit in up here. However, it’s been almost three years and I’ve found my own (glamorous) way of dealing with this harsh cold, and I’m pretty happy with myself. At least I’ve adapted enough to the climate to think that 50 degrees is relatively warm. That being said, my go-to look during spring break will be a dress and tights. How great is that?

Taylor is a junior studying journalism and the asst. copy chief at The Post. What are your winter staples? Email her at tl674710@ohiou.edu.