Graduate Student Senate Vice President of Administration and Finance Ed Gaither speaks during a meeting. (Issac Hale | File Photo)

During the GSS meeting on Monday, funds were allocated for GradFest and a new LGBT affairs commissioner was appointed

Graduate Student Senate President Joel Newby and Vice President of Committees and Legislative Affairs, Liz Volpe, were absent from Monday night’s meeting, but business went on as usual.

Vice President of Administration and Finance Ed Gaither stepped in to run the meeting along with Vice President of Communications, Andrea Harless.

GSS’ budget is almost $3,600, Gaither said.

A GSS representative met with Ryan Lombardi, vice president for Student Affairs on Wednesday and plans to produce a quantitative report on what graduate students want in regards to housing and parking by using surveys.

Future meetings will be had between GSS representatives and Ohio University administration once these surveys are collected.

Plans for future GradFest events were also discussed. GradFest is a GSS sponsored party typically held the first Friday of the month at The Pigskin, 38 N. Court St. to provide food and drink specials to those who attend.

The budget for these events is $200. GradFest events were previously held at Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St., before moving to The Pigskin, which is working well for GSS. “It’s going a lot smoother,” said Graduate Student Life Commissioner Meagen Rinard.

Elliot Smith was appointed as GSS’ LGBT affairs commissioner. Several people were vying for this position.

“I believe these are continued good signs that we are having competition for spots,” Gaither said.

Smith’s application apparently impressed the executive board.

“There were three or four applications, and his stood out a lot,” said GSS member Andrea Harless. “We’re excited for him to come on.”

This article originally appeared in print under the headline " GSS discusses GradFest and LGBT affairs"

@taylormaple

tm255312@ohiou.edu