Football: Signing day recruits add depth to both offensive and defensive squads

Looking to buff his squad with greater athleticism and explosive play, coach Frank Solich and his staff have assembled a class that could change program history.

Ohio signed 24 recruits Wednesday — 16 of whom are from within the state — the most in Solich’s tenure at the helm.

The class features a handful of offensive weapons that have the potential to help the program right away. Solich thinks there could be more than just a few that are able to contribute from their first day wearing green and white.

“If I say five that’s probably not enough,” he said. “There will probably be more than that, and there are not a lot of classes around the country where that is probably the case.”

The class is highlighted by a pair of running backs  — Papi White from Seminole, Okla. and Maleek Irons from Abbotsford, B.C., Canada. Irons, a bruising back, will provide the thunder to White’s lightning out of the backfield, which should make new Ohio quarterback Joey Duckworth’s job a lot easier.

The Louisville, Ohio native is the highest rated quarterback in Solich’s time at Ohio and garnered interest from the likes of Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Ohio State before tearing his ACL in the preseason.

“Even with his bad luck with his injury, he never lost his competitive edge,” said Ohio recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach Brian Haines. “He is a proven leader, and we look forward to having him on campus.”

Another new weapon who had flown under the recruiting radar before joining Ohio is Herman Brunis, a wide receiver out of Fairfield who has been deemed dangerous in the open field — similar to former Ohio great LaVon Brazill.

“Herman is a guy that we saw play basketball,” said Ohio wide receivers coach Dwayne Dixon. “Once we got his film, we (thought we) had someone like LaVon Brazill. We feel like he’ll be able to put on the weight we ask him to. He loves to compete, yet he’s very humble. He’s (a) quiet guy that can shock you.”

Ohio also added wide receiver and Miamisburg product in Connor Brown, who could see playing time from the get-go because of his potential to reach for red zone passes.

Jake Pruehs, a center from St. Edward High School in Lakewood, Ohio, is a player touted for his lateral quickness who will likely be used as a pulling blocker.

“I was talking to a few of the other linemen when they started workouts this year and they all said there is a new feel around,” Pruehs said. “It’s definitely going up and I want to contribute to that.”

On the defensive side of the ball, the Bobcats have added plenty of depth — especially in the secondary, where the team signed five players. One of the highest touted is Kylan Nelson, a cornerback from Lexington, Ky., who coaches think has the ability to contribute on the defensive side of the ball and in the return game.

Defensive end Kent Berger, who hails from Mentor, Ohio, provides the Bobcats with more depth on an already young defensive line. Berger has long arms, speed and the ability to disrupt passing lanes.

“I’ve looked at the tape of these guys, and I’ve visited them in their schools and their homes and you see how well physically they are put together,” Solich said. “They are also going to be outstanding students in the classroom.”

@Kovarandrew

ak840511@ohiou.edu