Graduate Student Senate favors insurance plan, passes resolutions

Graduate Student Senate voted in favor of the UnitedHealthcare insurance package that would include regional campuses in its coverage.

GSS opted for the United package over Aetna/Gallagher.

Feedback from the student body is considered before Ohio University approves a final package, said Ryan Lombardi, vice president for Student Affairs, in a previous interview.

“We have been with (UnitedHealthcare) for a long time, but I’m not opposed to change,” said Anna Wenning, student health insurance administrator.

Many options already covered in the United plan weren’t under Aetna – making Aetna a riskier option, Wenning said.

“We could have a really bad year with a new company but we could also have a really good year,” she said.

Senate members also discussed how to better promote themselves online, including combining two separate Twitter accounts.

“In order to get attention you have to get stuff on there; it has to be consistent and it has to be regular,” said Pamela Walck, a graduate student in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism.

The body also discussed communicating with students on LinkedIn after a recent study showed many graduate students opt for the social media site.

“GSS’ purpose wasn’t as clear to people as it could be,” said Jennifer Doyle, a graduate student in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism.

GSS also voted in favor of developing a new logo to make a more effective brand for the body.

“The desire to know about events is there,” Walck said.

The meeting concluded with several other resolutions passing, including those to create a housing and parking commission, create a teacher help platform on Blackboard, and to allocate funds for a graduate educational and social event.

GSS meetings are held every other week in Walter 235 at 7:30 p.m.

@taylormaple

tm255312@ohiou.edu

This story originally appeared in print under the headline "GSS favors an insurance plan"