Indoor Track: Ohio looks ahead to MAC Championship

After countless hours or preparation in practice and meets, the Bobcats’ final and most important meet of the indoor season will get underway Friday in Kent when the three-day Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships begin.

The Bobcats had numerous upperclassman make their presence known this season through school and meet record-breaking performances and coach Clay Calkins is expecting to rely on his experienced athletes to lead the Bobcats against the MAC’s best.

“We are expecting Chanda Cuckler, Donyelle Brown and Melissa Thompson to fill in where we lack,” Calkins said.

Calkins added that Ohio has been struggling with injuries and rough weather conditions for field events during meets and practices, but he has invested confidence in his squad.

“We’re doing the best we can,” Calkins said. “It’s been a tough indoor season trying to practice on frozen ground, but we are doing everything we can.”

Although the Bobcats have competed against MAC competition throughout the indoor season, Calkins did not want to speculate about how his team may fare this weekend.

But Ohio strengths reside in its distance and weight throwing competitors — senior Melissa Thompson and junior Chandra Cuckler have recorded some of the Bobcats’ best performances this season.

Seniors Juli Accurso, Kara Jackson, Thompson and junior Delaney Bolger will look to pace Ohio in the distance medley relay on Friday. The Bobcats have won the event’s title each of the past three seasons.

Though Ohio will likely rely on its upperclassman to carry the majority of the scoring, some underclassmen will also be expected to step up.

During last weekend’s Buckeye Tune-up at Ohio State, freshman Taylor Smith qualified for the MAC Championships with a 1.68-meter high jump.

Although Smith is a freshman, Calkins doesn’t believe she will be intimidated by the MAC competition.

“I hope there is no intimidation,” he said. “We have competed in tough meets before at SPIRE.”

With no intimidation and no clue of how mother nature will fare this weekend, the Bobcats hope to bring home the pennant crowning the squad Mid-American Indoor Track Champions.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohiou.edu