Ohio senior wing T.J. Hall drives to the hoop while guarded by Toledo freshman guard Jordan Lauf. The Bobcats fell to the Rockets 82-76 Wednesday. (Isaac Hale | File Photo)

Men's Basketball: Fueled by the play of Rian Pearson, Toledo fends off Ohio as the Bobcats lose on the road 82-76

Correction: The caption on the photo has been changed since it was originially published, as T.J. Hall was identified as Nick Kellogg.

Toledo guard Rian Pearson got hot from the opening basket and torched Ohio for the remainder of the contest Wednesday.

Pearson, a senior, made 12 of 18 attempts from the field, as his 29 points helped propel the Rockets to an 82-76 victory.

“I knew Rian Pearson was going to step up tonight,” Ohio coach Jim Christian said. “He’s a first-team preseason all-conference player, (Justin) Drummond is out. They went right to him on the first play … he (Pearson) got a lot of them on the glass, in transition, areas that we can’t give up plays to a guy like that and get him going. “

Senior guard Nick Kellogg led the Bobcats with 21 points, and senior guard Travis Wilkins put together another impressive performance, finishing with 17 points. After trailing by six points at halftime, Wilkins hit four of Ohio’s nine triples in the second half to aid the comeback effort. Ohio only hit two 3-pointers in the first half.

Toledo opened the contest with an 18-10 lead halfway through the first half, but Ohio countered and cut the Rockets’ lead to one point just minutes later. Toledo then went on a 10-2 run before the Bobcats squeaked closer to trail by six at halftime.

The Bobcats’ depth was tested throughout the game, with senior wing T.J. Hall having not traveled with the team because of a violation of team rules and junior guard Stevie Taylor exiting in the second half with a leg injury that would keep him out the duration of the game.

Ohio’s inability to limit the Rockets’ offense hurt the squad, as Toledo finished with 16 offensive rebounds and 18 second-chance points. Christian said a key point in the game was Ohio’s inability to grab defensive rebounds.

“We just couldn’t get the pivotal stops when we needed to get them,” Christian said. “I knew in the first half we were getting so many good shots that I told our team at halftime I know we’re going to get hot (but) we have to guard.”

Ohio started the second half on a good note, hitting five of its first seven shots from 3-point range and proceeded to take its first lead of the game with 13:44 remaining. As the Bobcats padded their lead to 57-50, they proceeded to turn the ball over three times, leading the Rockets to re-gaining the advantage. Toledo did not relinquish the lead for the rest of the contest.

The Bobcats were within striking distance with 29 seconds remaining, as Kellogg missed a 3-pointer when the Rockets led 80-76, but Toledo then iced the game with 27 seconds left after junior guard Julius Brown made two free throws to seal the win.

@brandon_kors

mk277809@ohiou.edu

This article originally ran in print under the headline: "Rockets take off vs. 'Cats"