Ohio senior wing T.J. Hall drives to the hoop while guarded by Toledo freshman guard Jordan Lauf. The Bobcats fell to the Rockets 82-76 Wednesday. (Isaac Hale | File Photo)

Men's Basketball: OU set to host Golden Flashes on Senior Day

Although the regular season has yet to conclude, Saturday will serve as the final regular season home game for Ohio’s five seniors when they welcome Kent State.

The class will undoubtedly go down as one of the most successful to don the Green and White, as the senior contingent of Nick Kellogg, Jon Smith, T.J. Hall, Travis Wilkins and Ricardo Johnson are just four wins away from becoming the winningest class in program history.

And though talent has played a large role in the team’s second place standing in the MAC East, the seniors’ leadership has been the underlying factor.

Prior to the season, coach Jim Christian challenged the senior class to develop as leaders and fill the shoes of last year’s seniors, which posted 94 wins during their tenure at Ohio.

“It’s been a special group ... especially with all the things that have happened the last month and a half,” Christian said. “I think those guys have in their own way been resilient and kind of led the charge.”

Although, Senior Day is meant to honor the group’s contributions, the Bobcats can enhance to their legacy with a victory. A win will be the Bobcats’ 20th in a season for the third straight year, and the 15th time in program history. 

The Bobcats began Wednesday’s contest against the Bulls flat and a late second-half surge wasn’t enough to overcome Buffalo as Ohio fell 69-64. However, Ohio has played well on Saturdays with an 11-1 record.

Christian said the team has yet to grasp how tough opposing teams play the Bobcats at home, and Wednesday’s loss against Buffalo was proof.

“I think the overriding theme of the whole thing is I’m not sure our guys really understand or have not exhibited an understanding how hard (opposing teams) are going to play,” Christian said. “(Opposing teams are) going to up their level when they play Ohio and I don’t think our guys have figured that out the entire MAC season.”

Consequently, the Bobcats will look to bounce back against the Golden Flashes, which are second-to-last in the Mid-American Conference East and have lost two games in a row. When the teams met on Jan. 8, Ohio won 59-53 on the road.

Kent State ranks first in the MAC in 3-point field goal percentage of .348 and second in the conference in field goals made from beyond the arc with 7.5 per game.

Junior guard Kris Brewer paces the squad with an average 12.2 points per contest.

“We just need to bring more energy than we have been,” Wilkins said. “Hopefully we’re able to bounce back and bring some more energy and hopefully leave The Convo with a win this season.”

@Brandon_kors

mk277809@ohiou.edu