OU alumnus to give students financial guidance

About one in five students will have to face student debt when they receive their diploma, according to a survey by Pew Research Center.

However, some Ohio University students will be able to prepare for the small and large financial decisions accompanying graduation with the help of an alumnus.

Students are encouraged to attend “Age is an Opportunity,” an event taking place Thursday at 6 p.m. in Walter 235.

Author of

The Missing Semester

and OU alumnus, Matt Kabala will be speaking about financial issues that college students and recent graduates face.

“Such issues discussed will be whether it is better to lease or buy in regards to housing, what type of 401(k) is best for students, and how to manage finances to avoid debt and pay off student loans,” said Edyn Karnis, a sophomore studying finance, accounting, and business pre-law, in an email.

Karnis is helping organize the event as a part of CONNECT — OU’s College of Business networking organization — with the help of OU’s Student Equity Management Group.

“I and (

The Missing Semester

’s co-author) Gene Natali have been working together for quite some time, and both want to give back to our alma maters,” Kabala said.

Kabala said he hopes to continue interaction with OU in order to make the book taught in the university’s finance or accounting curriculum.

Kabala’s book serves as a guide for recent graduates in making financial decisions, but it also gives advice to current high school and college students in order to prepare for financial independence.

“I really wanted to come speak at Ohio University to give back and to connect with the university again,” Kabala said.

The first 100 students to arrive at the event will receive a free copy of Kabala’s book

The Missing Semester

, and all others will receive pizza.

Along with free food, Kabala will be giving away prizes to students who actively participate in the event.

The event is open to all majors, but all interested students must register online to attend.

ra588112@ohio.edu

@Rachel_Alley22