Performing Art Series attempting to find new talent for lackluster spring lineup

Even with the addition of country star Lee Brice to Spring Semester’s Performing Arts Series lineup, there leaves something to be desired from the spring’s performers — and the organizers agree.

“I’m disappointed because each year is different,” said Andrew Holzaepfel, associate director of the Campus Involvement Center, citing the success of the previous two semesters with acts such as Phillip Phillips, Colbie Caillat and Sara Bareilles. “I’m not sure what else is going to come through; we’ve exhausted lots and lots of lists … but it’s not from a lack of trying at this point.”

He said the center is still working hard to secure another comedy act, but musical performers are in short supply and tend to be acts that have already played here in recent years.

Hip-hop acts tend to conflict with Number Fest he added, and though there is some availability in May, students will be gone by then.

“There’s a lot of (Electronic dance music) out there, but we don’t have a venue for it (because) they want no-seat venues,” Holzaepfel said. “The EDM is a tough one because we feel like the students would want it, but where do we put it?”

Holzaepfel said the new Walter Fieldhouse could present opportunities in the future for no-seat concerts, as the center had booked shows in similar spaces before. However, there is no way of knowing now whether the acoustics of the space would be good for a concert or if there would be material to cover the AstroTurf.

Along with the announcement of Brice making his return to OU came the launch of a new app from the Campus Involvement Center that is geared more toward Athens residents than the center’s other app, which focuses on students.

“We have a lot of community members that come to the concerts, to the Performing Arts and to the Broadway shows, and the student app has so much stuff in it that wouldn’t pertain to them that it would just get lost,” said Brian Heilmeier, assistant director for student activities. “It’s friendly for our audience members and even includes things like parking, because we know parking can be a pain.”

The app is available on the App Store and Google Play Store for free and includes a full list of upcoming artists to OU and provides links to purchase tickets online. Search “Ohio University Performing Arts” to download.

@Wilbur_Hoffman

wh092010@ohiou.edu