Roger's Stars of Illusion to benefit local child abuse advocacy programs

It will be a night of hilarity and humanity, as the annual Roger’s Stars of Illusion show puts on a night of celebrity impressions to benefit two charities.

Saturday’s event at the Baker Theater aims to donate all proceeds to both the Child Advocacy Center, which works to help child sexual abuse victims, and the Athens County Court Appointed Special Advocate/Guardian Ad Litem Program, a program that advocates for abused and neglected children through the Juvenile Court process.

Jenny Stotts, executive director of theAthens County Court Appointed Special Advocate program, said the show features local performer Roger Wells and his associate performers, who put on the event to benefit local charities every year.

“Just so I can give back to the community every year, (I) do a fundraiser for some sort of charity group in the Athens area,” said Wells, performer and a stylist at Attractions Hair and Tanning Salon. “I’ve worked out here for 28 years and they’ve always been good to me, so I can give a little bit back to them.”

Rebecca Robison-Miller, director of the Child Advocacy Center, said it’s hard to view the night as work because it is so much fun.

“The show is just very entertaining and I’m grateful to Roger that he is willing to do this for these organizations,” Robison-Miller said.

Robison-Miller said it will be a night of enjoyment with impersonations of Marilyn Monroe, Katy Perry, Lucille Ball and Britney Spears.

“It’s fun and it’s almost like being at a little Las Vegas show,” Wells said.

Stotts said she thinks this event is a great way for community members to support Athens organizations and have a night of fun.

“If you’ve never been to a Roger’s show, you cannot leave Athens without having experienced one of Roger’s shows.” Stotts said. “I think last year, I was either laughing or smiling the entire show; it’s just so much fun. So to be able to go and have that much fun and then also know that you are supporting children in our community … is pretty phenomenal.”

IFYG:

What: Roger’s Stars of Illusion

When: 7 p.m., Saturday

Where: Baker University Center Theater      

Admission: Sold Out

rb605712@ohiou.edu

@reb_barnes