Riley Parker, 5, admires an airbrush tattoo on her aunt Samantha Gogol’s arm. Gogol, a sophomore at Ohio University and an Anthropology major, attended the Sibs Bash in Ping Center on Saturday. (Alayna Steele | For The Post)

Siblings get a taste of OU during Sibs Weekend

Ohio University Sibs Weekend brought family-friendly fun to campus with carnivals, fashion shows and music.

The Black Student Cultural Programming Board held a talent contest called Night At The Apollo. Winsome Chunnu-Brayda, associate director for the Multicultural Center said the night was a success, with more than 380 people in attendance.

“[BSCPB] started out by doing a variety show because it gave the younger sibs an opportunity to see what life is like on a college campus in a fun way,” said Chunnu-Brayda. “...It’s funny, it’s entertaining and I think it’s appropriate.”

With roller-skating, balloon animals and photo booths, the University Programming Council brought a large crowd to Baker University Center to enjoy its activities on Saturday during Sibs Fest ’14.

“I think it’s a lot of fun because your siblings have something to do together, to reconnect since you haven’t been home for a while,” said Sarah Reichert, a freshman studying social work.

FACES Modeling hosted its annual event on Saturday as well, and took fashion and Black AIDS awareness to the stage in its “30 Years of Fashion.”

“I think our show educates, as well as shows fashion and educates on fashion and just stuff that you should know, like AIDS awareness, March of Dimes, fashion technique, how to dress going out, how to dress to go to somewhere professional,” said Shambrion Treadwell, president of FACES. “I think all around, it’s educational.”

Sabrie Ellis, a freshman studying exercise physiology, helped backstage at the show and said it gave her sister a chance to enjoy the show and the organization.

“I feel like it was a way to showcase the different (organizations) we have on campus, at least one of them,” Ellis said. “The sibs were able to see what OU is kind of about, a little taste of it.”

Jordyn Tramble, a treasurer for FACES and a junior studying marketing, said the event is great for sibs and was a great way to show what FACES is all about.

“I think a good thing about our program is our whole organization promotes confidence,” Tramble said. “The fact that we have people of all different backgrounds, people of all different ethnicities and shapes, we’re showing that no matter what you look like, you can look good and you can be confident and show other people your type of style.”

@reb_barnes

rb605712@ohiou.edu

This article appeared in print under the headline "Siblings get a taste of OU"