Student dies of 'unexpected medical issue'

An Ohio University senior died Tuesday night after collapsing in Ping Center.

Lei Han, age 24, was an international student from Dalian, China, studying economics in the College of Arts and Sciences.

The official cause of death is still under investigation, but Han had an “unexpected medical issue,” said Ryan Lombardi, vice president for Student Affairs.

It was difficult for the university to get in touch with his family, who lives in a time zone 13 hours ahead of Athens time.

Han was playing basketball with friends at Ping Center Tuesday night when he collapsed, said students who were there at the time.  

One of Han’s friends went to get help from Ping Center staff who called the OU Police Department and emergency medical services.

Paramedics performed CPR for ten minutes before attempting other tactics, said Carolann Stanley, a sophomore who has yet to declare a major.

“They hooked him up to an IV and began to use a defibrillator on him,” Stanley said. Stanley was on Ping Center’s second floor when Han collapsed.

Crowds around the student quickly grew until the workout center’s staff temporarily cleared out the section of the building where Han was located.

“As time went on, more and more people gathered around the glass wall of the basketball courts,” said Nick Baumgartel, a freshman who has yet to declare a major.  

Han was taken to O’Bleness Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Han was an International Student Union member and the undergraduate president of OU’s Chinese Students and Scholars Association.

“Today is a sad day for OU and ISU ... We extend our most sincere condolences to his family and friends,” according to a post on the ISU’s Facebook page.

The Division of Student Affairs is working with the International Student and Faculty Services staff to support those affected by the loss, said Katie Quaranta, an OU spokeswoman.

“People grieve differently,” said Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones. “Sometimes they need to talk to a counselor and sometimes they need to be with their friends and grieve.”

Counseling and Psychological Services are available at any time at 740-593-1616.

“My heart goes out to the family and friends of Lei Han,” Hall-Jones said in a statement. “To lose someone you love is one of the most difficult things anyone can face, and doubly hard when you are so far from home, family and support networks. We will continue to reach out to provide as much support as we can to help them through this difficult time.”

@Rachel_Alley22

ra588112@ohiou.edu