Women's Basketball: 'Cats unable to shatter losing streak

The Bobcats’ “best collective effort” wasn’t enough to will them to victory, as they left the Glass City without shattering their season-long eight-game losing streak.

After a week of no competition, Ohio failed to put together all the pieces of the puzzle as it fell to Toledo 62-58 on Saturday.

“I thought our kids played really hard,” coach Bob Boldon. “I thought this was probably the best collective effort our kids have had in a long, long time. So I was proud of that."

Throughout the season, Boldon has consistently said he would like the Bobcats to convert high percentage shots, such as lay-ups, but opponents have taken notice and have countered by sitting in a 2-3 zone defense, forcing the Bobcats to settle with outside shots.

But on Saturday, Ohio was able to feed the ball down low with just under half of their points (26) coming in the paint.

And when the Bobcats couldn’t attack the basket, they kicked it around the perimeter; throwing up 29 three point attempts, converting eight of them.

After a month off with due to a wrist injury, junior guard Mariah Byard became a significant component of the Bobcats’ game plan.

Aside from a three-second appearance against Eastern Michigan last weekend, Byard had been out the previous eight games dating back to Jan. 9. She led all Ohio scorers with 17 points against Toledo, after making 5 of 12 attempts from behind the arc.

“For a kid like her and for a kid like Jasmine (Weatherspoon) to work their tails off to get back and get minutes … you always like to see them come back,” Boldon said.

What Boldon didn’t like, and made sure the refs were aware, was the number of fouls called on the Bobcats in comparison to the Rockets (25-16).

Late in the contest, it seemed like every call that could go against Ohio did go against them.

Forward Lexie Baldwin, a sophomore, and Destini Cooper, a freshman, fouled out, while Hannah Boesinger, Kiyanna Black and Quiera Lampkins each committed four fouls.

It didn’t help that Toledo was 21 of 28 from the free throw line, while Ohio made just 8 of 16 attempts.

“This is a pretty good Toledo team,” Boldon said. “We probably had a chance to beat them at our place and let that one get away and we let another one get away up here.”

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohiou.edu

Fast Facts

Toledo 62 (12-11, 7-5 MAC)

Ohio 58 (8-15, 3-9 MAC)

— The Bobcats have lost a season-long eight consecutive games.