Women's Basketball: Freshmen shine amid five-game loss streak

This season has been a learning experience for a young Ohio team. Since Jan. 12, the Bobcats have played with only freshmen and sophomores on the floor. They won the first two games of that span but have since lost five straight.

When first-year coach Bob Boldon came to Ohio from Youngstown State last March, he brought along his coaching staff. As such, the Bobcats are still working every day to adapt new schemes at both ends of the court. Nonetheless, Boldon has been especially happy with his incoming players.

“I’m thrilled with our freshman class,” Boldon said after losing to Central Michigan on Sunday. “I think they’re all doing a great job.”

Throughout the season, Boldon has consistently said he has seen improvement in his young team that has six freshman faces.

“Our goal isn’t to be good in three years,” Boldon said after losing to Bowling Green on Thursday. “We’d like it to be sooner than that, but we’re in a process that can be uncomfortable at times.”

Here are three freshmen who have stood out recently.

Destini Cooper, forward

Boldon said Sunday that Cooper has been playing fantastic basketball as of late.

“She has an incredibly high standard for herself,” he said. “She battled some frustrations early in the year but has fought that, shown a lot of toughness, and I’m just really pleased with the way she’s playing right now.”

Cooper has averaged 10 points per game over the last four contests and 6.9 points and 4.7 rebounds per game this season.

Quiera Lampkins, guard/forward

Lampkins has been the best freshman statistically this year, averaging 10.6 points and 5.3 boards per game.

She’s often been on the receiving end on the passes down low, but she can also be a three-point threat. Boldon has started her every game, and uses her as an example of endurance, he said.

Hannah Boesinger, forward

Boesinger has flown under the radar perhaps more than any other player on this year’s squad.

Over the last couple of games, she’s started off with strong first halves only to fade after the halftime break.

Despite only playing a little more than half the game (20.1 minutes), Boesinger leads all Ohio shooters from behind the arc in three-point percentage (.392).

She also had a career-high 18 points against Kent State on Jan. 15 despite racking up four fouls in the first half.

gh181212@ohiou.edu

@charliehatch_