Aaron's party to hit South Beach

Move over Frankie Muniz: another early 2000s teen sensation is coming to Athens, and he wants candy.

Aaron Carter, the pop star that covered The Strangeloves’ novelty song “I Want Candy” in 2000, will perform on South Beach as part of #TBT with University Program Council and The Black Student Cultural Programming Board.

People will be able to meet Carter by entering an Instagram contest, and the actual event will take place April 24. The festivities will begin at 4 p.m. and the concert is starting at 6 p.m. according to a press release.

Carter will headline the event along with Brandon “DJ B-Funk” Thompson and DJ A-roc. Those who attend the event will also be able to travel back in time with airbrush snapbacks, inflatables and a roller rink, according to a press release from UPC.

Thursday, UPC unveiledthree large posters in Baker University Center, eliciting people to take out their phones to snap a picture or exclaim excitement or surprise. Two of those students who were excited by the posters included Riley Carpenter and Cameron Quinn.

“(Cameron) and I were just talking; I didn’t even know Aaron Carter still made music!” said Carpenter, a freshmen studying communications. “It was funny, we laughed about it.”

The two said they were fans back when they were younger and said it’d be fun to go see a more current Carter.

“It brought back some memories,” freshman Quinn said. “(I was) kind of thrown off because we didn’t know Aaron Carter still existed.”

The album with their favorite song, “I Want Candy,” was Aaron’s Party (Come Get It), his highest ranking on the Billboard 200, peaking at No. 4. That album also featured hit single, “That’s How I Beat Shaq.”

“I think it’s cool that OU was able to find him and bring him out of the woodwork, and bring him here … as a concert for us,” Carpenter said. “It wasn’t something I’d expect here at OU, but it’s definitely cool.”

@drussell23

ds834910@ohiou.edu