Between the Lines: Sochi internship was memorable (in a good way)

Amid political issues, terrorism threats and Western criticism, my experience with NBC at the 2014 Sochi Olympic Winter Games was life-changing.

It was a whole different world there.

As I walked through the loaded security checkpoint to NBC’s workspace in the International Broadcast Center on my first day, I felt culture shock for the first time. I thought to myself, “I’m actually in Russia, at the Olympics.”

Unlike the popular belief in America, not everyone outside of the States speaks fluent English, even at the Olympics. So, I learned a few basics of the Russian language. Everyone knew how to say “spasibo,” which means “thank you,” by the second day.

As many saw on a national level, the United States’ perception of Sochi, and the games, was as negative as can be. From someone who was there before, during and after the games, I am here to inform you that Russia did an excellent job as the host country.

Twitter was loaded with pictures of unfinished hotel rooms, roughly translated notes, stray dogs and two-person bathroom stalls. I, along with the others I worked with, did not have a problem with any of these. I noticed that all of these issues were isolated incidents that were blown out of proportion.

Having the Olympics at a beach town that was far from ready to accommodate the games just four years ago is a tough task. Russia was able to build it. I would consider Olympic Park one of the prettiest places I have ever seen. The mountains in Rosa Khutor, which were about an hour away from Olympic Park, had picturesque views when the snow cooperated.

With that said, the games themselves were a blast to be a part of. Watching USA Hockey star T.J. Oshie take the country by storm right behind legendary announcers Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth was just one of many memorable moments of my trip.

Since I’ve been back in the states, I’ve been asked many questions about the accommodations, working conditions and culture, but what I’ve been asked the most is what my favorite and funniest moments were while in Sochi.

Witnessing several global events, including several hockey games, working with NBC on-air talent and running into athletes like Zach Parise, Lolo Jones and the Jamaican bobsled team were huge parts of my experience, but nothing will ever compare to the memories that about 90 other interns and I were able to experience together.

I knew nobody in Sochi when I left the states to intern there, and I am able to say that I have come back with numerous friends and connections in the business that will last a lifetime.

Alex Busch is a junior studying sport management and journalism and a staff writer for The Post. Ask him about Sochi at ab109410@ohiou.edu.