FIFA internship to cost students $10,000

It’ll take an estimated $10,000 to intern with the U.S. National Soccer team covering the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

The costs were discussed with a group of about 15 students and two representatives within the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism last week.

The trip would last 26 days, and the largest cost to students is the $250 per night hotel room. The room is partially covered by the U.S. team, which reduced the cost from $450 per night. The total lodging costs would be about $6,500.

The same hotel will be occupied by other media representatives and the soccer team, and OU students would have access to all the tournaments.

At a meeting last week, Robert Stewart, director of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism and Yusuf Kalyango, a professor of journalism, broke down what this money would buy for the students.

The students would pay $1,000 each to subsidize sending a female and male professor on the trip — Gerard Akindes, OU professor of sport administration, and Ashley Furrow, a professor of journalism from the University of Memphis who received her Ph.D. from OU.

These professors are part of the requirements set by the risk assessment committee, an entity which must approve the program’s final plans before it’s sent to Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit for consideration.

“(Students) will not be wandering the streets of San Paulo,” Stewart said.

OU estimates students will also need $2,500 for plane tickets and food.

“I looked into Kickstarter, but without knowing if I had a secured spot or not because the interviews haven’t been held yet, I didn’t want to take a chance on gathering money that wouldn’t be used,” said Tessa Brediger, a freshman studying journalism and photojournalism. “I really hope that we continue this program in Scripps, and one year, maybe I’ll still get to go.” Brediger said.

@sethparcher

sa587812@ohiou.edu