Zeitgeist Films co-founder Nancy Gerstman will screen the Romanian film Child’s Pose at the Athena Cinema. The film depicts a mother and son and their relationship throughout his life. (Provided)

Film studio co-founder Nancy Gerstman to screen 'Child's Pose' at Athena Cinema

As an entrepreneur, producer, co-director and co-founder of the film studio Zeitgeist Films, Nancy Gerstman has learned a great deal about the business. This week, she’ll share that information with students and staff.

Through Arts for Ohio, the Film Division, the Center for Entrepreneurship and the Create Space, the Athena Cinema will welcome Gerstman with a free, one-night screening of the acclaimed film Child’s Pose at 7 p.m. on Tuesday. The film follows a mother and her complicated relationship with her son and how that shapes him. A conversation with Gerstman will follow the film.

“I hope the audience can see why we were attracted to this film to the point of wanting to distribute it,” Gerstman said. “We take very few films a year so we have to really love the films we take on. As far as the Q and A, I’m not the filmmaker but I hope I can provide some insight into the distribution process and qualifying the film for an Oscar this past year.”

Invited by film professor Pearl Gluck and able to come to the campus through the Division of Film, Gerstman visits Athens not just to discuss the film she is distributing, but also to speak to Gluck’s class about marketing their films. Gerstman will also give a school-wide talk to the filmmakers about film distribution.

“I think that it’s really important to have working individuals, whether they are making films or writing or, in this case, distributors, come here and meet with us,” Gluck said. “And it’s a great opportunity for Nancy too, because she will be meeting upcoming talent.”

As the distributor of Gluck’s film Divan, Gluck has already established a relationship with the company. But, in particular, it is its staying power in the business — even though so much as changed — that Gluck said she thinks is so great.

“I just think they are one of the top-notch boutique shops in the business, so I think it will be a great experience,” Gluck said.

Gerstman will view the students’ trailers and press kit`s for their films, and offer feedback about them.

“We feel that she would be a wonderful way to explore how to grow as a producer and as an entrepreneurship,” said Luke Pittaway, director of the Center of Entrepreneurship. “In a business dominated by male producers, Nancy is such an inspiration, and we think that she is a great role model for these students.”

wa054010@ohiou.edu

If You Go

What: Child’s Pose with Nancy Gerstman

When: 7 p.m., Tuesday

Where: Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St.

Admission: Free

This article originally appeared in print under the headline "Studio co-founder to screen acclaimed film"